In November 1925, largely through the efforts of Miss Louise Hankinson (Mrs. Stewart Phinizy), a group of young women formed an organization known as the Junior Workers. Miss Hankinson was elected President. The policy of this group of young women was to endeavor to recognize needs in the community and find solutions to the problems.
During the next four years, the organization grew from the original eleven charter members to 73 Junior Workers. In 1929, the organization was accepted into the Association of Junior Leagues of America.
The accomplishments of the Junior League of Augusta, Georgia have been significant to both the community at large and all Junior Leagues. Augusta wrote and produced the first Junior League cookbook, “Old Southern Recipes”; lead early Junior League nutrition efforts with the establishment of a Milk Clinic in the 1930s; ensured the preservation of several historically significant buildings in Augusta, including the Old Government House and the Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson; implemented several community-wide programs that focus on health and welfare, generational poverty, education, advocacy efforts to improve the lives and women and children and much more over its eight decades of existence.